There are several ways to help your dog that is afraid of thunder. You can begin by providing a safe place for him to hide. A crate is often used as a hiding place for dogs. These crates are designed to muff out the noise and help a dog feel protected. You can also leave treats in this place for your dog to find. This can help a lot. If you have a loud thunderstorm, you should avoid taking your pet out during the thunderstorm.
If you’d like to help your dog cope with thunderstorm anxiety, you can try desensitizing him to the sound. To do this, play a recording of thunder sounds on your computer. Make sure that you only play these sounds when your dog is enjoying a treat or playing a game.
It’s better if you only play the sound when the dog reacts positively to the sound. After a few weeks, gradually increase the volume of the sound so he associates thunder with good things.
If you’d like to help your dog deal with his fear, you can try distraction techniques. You can distract your dog with toys or calming music. You can also give him his favorite treat when he comes near the thunder.
These methods may be a bit difficult to implement at first, but the rewards will help. Dr. McGowan recommends creating positive associations with thunder, which will encourage him to play in a safe environment.
There are many reasons for which dogs are afraid of thunder
Some of them are mentioned below:
- The noise of thunder is too loud
- The lightning and its flashes can be dangerous for your dog
- The dogs might feel anxious due to the fact that they don’t have any other shelter from the storm
- The rain is heavy and can bring down branches on the house
- Dogs are scared of thunder because they have the habit of barking and they may feel nervous if there is no one to take care of them
- If the dog barks at the sound of thunder, it can disturb you as well
- When there is lightning, the dogs may be frightened
- Sometimes the lightning will strike the house where the dogs are kept and they may be scared.
- Dogs are scared of thunder because they are afraid of lightning.